Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Mastering Knitting Level 1 Vol. 1

You are going to see quite a few posts while I am working on The Knitting Guild Association Master Hand Knitting Program Level 1.


These are swatches 2 and 3, both I knit a second time.  The original seed stitch came out too lose, which I think weird because typically I am a VERY tight knitter, but I think I tried to knit "nicely" and not in my usual aggressive fashion where I practically cut the circulation off in my yarn tensioning finger.  Apparently you SHOULD do that for seed stitch ... this swatch is a whopping 1/2" less in width than the original.

I have also knit up swatches 4, 5 and 6 - Increases.  I haven't blocked them yet.  I only have so many pins and so much patience for blocking swatches.  Those can sit while these ones dry.

I did learn an interesting tip while doing research.  Elizabeth Zimmerman says to avoid that HUGE stitch at the end of the bind off row, knit the last two stitches together and bind then off.  Works like a charm.

I am chipping away at the questions as they relate to each swatch I knit.  I have also finished the first draft of my blocking report and done all the research, I just need to polish it up and add my insights and observations I have come to while blocking my swatches.

3 comments:

elns said...

Dude, it is so awesome you are posting your adventures in learning here for us plebs. I am in awe of the swatching in general, designing and honestly understanding construct is just wow. I like how you described your aggressive style of knitting. It's like your knitting kung-fu or something. Love it. I have to talk myself down from tight knitting. The force is strong in you. Use your powers for good, my friend.

kathy b said...

That's a great EZ tip. My Al is going to start her master s class too. you are ahead of her so far

Unknown said...

Hi!
I love that you are posting pictures of your adventures in Master Knitters on your blog. I have thought about embarking on this but haven't yet.

Best of luck,
Marie