Wednesday, February 12, 2014

More Fun with Painting

This past Sunday I took a freestyle canvas painting class at the shop where I have gone to paint pottery and canvases.  Freestyle means that you can bring in your own photo or picture and everyone is doing something different, unlike the other classes where everyone paints the same image.

I was thinking I was going to do the Dr. Who Tardis or Toothless from How to Train your Dragon ... until I came across this:


At first, I thought it was a fat little baby humming bird because of the colors and the pointy beak.  But its not, its actually a Narrow-billed Tody from the Dominican Republic.

I needed  no assistance during the class - I just grabbed the paints and off I went.  I guess I did inherit my grandmother's genes ... because she painted wonderful things, I have one of her paintings in my living room.  I think though that I need a little (or a lot) more practice before I get to her level.

I am very happy with my painting and my little bird.  It looks a bit nicer in person because the background colors don't look quite so stark and brush strokey like the camera picks up.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute! You have great talent for painting.

geeky Heather said...

How cool!! I love the little birdie! And so awesome that it will be a class!

kathy b said...

Beautiful. I love how you generated such a brilliant image

autumngeisha said...

Love the painting! You captured the inspiration photo beautifully. So cool that they want you to teach a class, too.