Thursday, January 9, 2014

FO: Kaire Polwarth


This was a braid of Polwarth fiber from BlueDogFibers in the colorway Kaire.  I started spinning this last July and then it sat for a while.  Its fractal spun 2 ply and probably somewhere around fingering weight.


For fractal spinning the entire roving is split in half down the middle vertically. One half is left as is, the other half is split into smaller bits again and again. This produces one bobbin with very long color repeats and one with very short color repeats.  At some points in the final skein the colors meet up and at other points the typical hand spun "barber poling" occurs with different colors. 


As usual I OVER-SPUN the singles.  This year I am focusing on re-learning how to spin and to stop treadling like I am in a bicycle race trying to escape from a zombie hoard and my life depends on how fast I can go.  


Spun clockwise singles, counterclockwise 2-ply on my Road Bug on the medium whorl using worsted drafting.


Here is the finished plied yarn looking a little crazy.



Washing and beating into submission calmed it down a little, but its still bordering on Art Yarn in some spots.  The fractal spinning worked out well for the colors.  I had approximately 300 yds before washing.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am always amazed how different the spun yarn can look from the way it looked as roving.

It's beautiful. Do you have a pattern planned for it?

kathy b said...

I Love how beautiful it turned out! WOW. You really transformed it

kathy b said...

I Love how beautiful it turned out! WOW. You really transformed it

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Pretty!