Sunday, October 9, 2011

Weekend Update 10-9-11

Discount code for Revelations of a Delusional Knitter Yarns! I have some Halloween colorways, but this discount is good for any colorway. 25% off until October 31st. Enter code TRICKORTREAT.

I've been wanting to try dyeing self striping yarn for a while now. Even moreso after getting this awesome colorway from Wandering Cat Yarns! Sleepy Hollow, the perfect Halloween sock yarn. I have cast on socks, since Laura of the Knit Girllls declared Sunday Knit whatever the heck you want day.


Today I skeined up a 24 foot skein, I planned on doing 3 different colors for a three stripe repeat. I tried skeining the yarn by flipping two bar stools from the kitchen upsidedown to use the legs to wrap the yarn around. A little voice in the back of my head said, "You do know the stools are going to move, right?" And the other voice said, "Oh, I'll be careful, it'll be fine." Well it wasn't, LOL!! It went OK, but 1) the stool legs are not straight, they are angled slightly, and 2) they did in fact move. So the beginning of the skein was much looser and longer than the end. I think it worked out OK ... until I dyed it incorrectly.

It should have been dyed in a loop, so that the color repeats were each 1/3 of the skein. Well for some reason I thought it OK to fold the skein in half and then dye it, so I have one long repeat of 2 colors and 2 short repeats of one of the colors. This was the test skein anyway and I will keep it myself to see how it knits up, and I did learn some things in the process, which was the intent of this exercise.


My grandmother passed away recently and my aunt saved this for me (afghan and pillow). How cool are these colors!!!

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

The yarn looks great! I'd be interested in seeing it knit up, but not too worried about the repeat length... it gives it character!

So sorry about your grandmother. But I do like the colors in the blanket :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Didn't every northern family have an afghan just like that? I know we did.

WildflowerWool said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I have an blanket from my Grandma that she knit in the same brown and orange :)