Friday, October 28, 2011

Magazine Review: Knit Wear


I was waiting for the pharmacy to fill a Rx today so I hopped over to JoAnn Fabrics to kill time. I saw this on the stands. It is a little expensive at $14.99. Its published annually by Interweave.


There are 25 patterns. The magazine is broken down into sections: The Perfect Sweater (different variations of a sweater pattern), On the Edge (patterns with different elements to enhance the edges), The Knitting Elements (combinations of knit and purl), Ruffle, Drape and Pleat (fabric manipulations and directional shaping), Assembly Required (most of these sweaters are knit in pieces and seamed, buttons added). One pattern is given as a book excerpt.


In addition there are features on ribbing techniques, grafting and a yarn company. There are quite a few ads, but I don't feel like its any more than any other magazine and they are all related to knitting.


Mostly sweaters, but there is also patterns for a capelet, mobius and scarf.


There are several patterns in this magazine that I would make. Typically if I see more than three I think I would make, I consider it reasonable to purchase the magazine. Because it said Premiere Issue on it, I was intrigued.

6 comments:

Sue said...

I do the same thing with magazines and books. If we divide the cost of the magazine or book by the time we spend making projects from it, it doesn't seem that expensive.....Especially if you are a slow knitter like me! lol Those are lovely looking projects.Have matched any with yarn you have? I like Interweave books. My stash of Interweave books is growing.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Sounds like a worthwhile purchase to me. That golden coloured cardigan is gorgeous!

Alyssa said...

Wow, it does look like a good magazine! Especially if it's just starting up. Interweave is usually good at picking knitable patterns!

Marushka C. said...

I'll have to look for this one next time I'm at Jo-Anns or the yarn shop. The designs have kind of a simple but elegant feel, don't they? I like how they are styled -- the eye goes to the knit items and not to the landscaping, furniture, etc.

autumngeisha said...

I have this issue and was very impressed with the projects. Most are very modern and fashionable. I love the top down sweater by Wendy Bernard and plan on knitting it this winter.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I like that hoodie - I'll have to see if I can find the magazine