Saturday, April 23, 2011

Its ... its .... yarn!

OMG I enjoyed this so much! Yesterday and today while spinning I found that I can be quite consistent, so I had a decision to make. The yarn on my spindle thus far was pretty wonky. Thick and thin as I practiced drafting and getting my hands to cooperate with my brain. I have about 2.79 oz left of this roving that I haven't mutilated already.


I decided that I didn't want to continue spinning if a good portion of it was a mess and I thought I could continue consistently (and thinner) that I had been. I was itching to try plying too!


So I stopped where I was and wound it into a center pull ball. I know I can ply from the cop, but it was odd looking and I thought the shape weird and I do have a ball winder, so wind I did.

Although I was concerned with the instructions of pulling a ply from the outside and inside of the ball and how, conceivably this could turn into a huge mess, I continued anyway. It really went quite well until I accidentally let go of the yarn during plying and the twist traveled to the unplied yarn.


Unbelievably its actually a balanced yarn ... or its so far removed from actually being yarn that its not behaving normally. The yarn hangs all by itself without twisting back.


Sorry for the icky pics, but its raining and grey here again, so its the best I could get. Now my yarn is hanging to dry. I think I got about 16 yds out of it. I used a Niddy Noddy to wind the hank, so I counted the strands and did the math from there.

7 comments:

Typstatting said...

You are doing great love the colour!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

It IS yarn! Plying is magical when the thin bits line up with thick, and the twist all balances out.

Now, let's see it knit up!

WildflowerWool said...

Good job!! You are giving me confidence that maybe I should dust off my drop spindle.

Sue said...

Good looking yarn you have made there! I love the colourway.

Anonymous said...

No, that looks like yarn all right! Good job, it looks great! Now go knit with it ;)

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Sure is pretty!

Ziggyeor said...

Wow that is amazing :)

Thanks for the comment on my blog :)