Saturday, March 5, 2011

Partially Sunny with a Chance of Spring

I missed last week's WIP posting ... but I didn't really have anything to show for it anyway. I was stuck at work late and I missed the Knitters' Guild meeting ... I was pretty mad ... OK actually I was raging, boiling mad and woke up three times that night I was so worked up. Without getting into it and this turning into a rant ... let's just say that my company has the philosophy that one that works there doesn't have a family, extracurricular activities or any life whatsoever outside of this place. They have scheduled the next inventory on a WEEKEND ... one which I had taken a floating holiday that Friday and had plans for Sunday ... guess not anymore ... uurrgghhh!!!

The sun finally showed itself this afternoon and the temp was around 50. I hope to see more of that in the following weeks and not more of this (picture taken last weekend):


This afternoon I made one of my favs, its pretty quick and easy. Probably not the healthiest dish, but yummy nonetheless!


Picante Pie

1 lb hamburger
1 jar Pace Picante Sauce
1 Ready made pie crust
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Brown hamburger and drain grease. Add picante sauce and simmer for about 15 minutes or until excess liquid is gone. Place one sheet of pie crust in a pie pan. Top with meat and cheese. Top with other pie crust. Cut vent holes in top of crust. Bake in oven for 30 minutes at 425 degrees.

I indulged in some of my vices recently. The first is Kraken ... a black spiced rum. When my friend and I were at British Beer Company the other week we were at the bar and saw the bartender with this bottle. Our curiosity piqued, we got his attention and asked him what it was, he replied that it was rum. I'm a big fan of rum, Capt. Morgan is a staple in my house. So I thought I would give this a whirl.


Its good ... dangerously so. Its so smooth. When I opened the bottle I curiously took a whiff. I think I got a buzz off the fumes. I took a sip straight, I didn't get that involuntary knee-jerk, sharp exhale and shudder that harsh liquor gives one. It went down easy.

The bottle itself is super cool, but check out the bottle cap!



And what's indulgence without some yarn?!? I'm on a lace kick since successfully completing Ishbel.


On the left is Filatura Di Crosa Nirvana in the interestingly named colorway of #14. 100% extra fine superwash mercerized wool at 372 yds per 25 g ball. On the right is Silky Alpaca Lace by Classic Elite Yarns in another fascinating name #2476. Its 70% baby alpaca and 30% silk at 460 yds per 50 g.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the Kraken bottle. That's cool!

Sue said...

Perhaps whoever decides to name the yarn needs a sip of the rum to help lubricate their creativity? Nice colours.

Liz in Ypsilanti said...

We had company for dinner last evening, and I made chicken pot pie using puff pastry from the grocery store as the top crust. For someone who used to be a pie-crust-from-scratch purist, I've come down in the world. I think it's better to decide where you want to direct your energy, direct it there, and let the rest ride. Your picante pie sounds like a good candidate for my next turn at cooking. Thank you for the recipe.

fleegle said...

I want that bottle cap...it's my cousin! :)

And thanks for your compliments on my Percy shawl!