Thursday, January 6, 2011

Yarn Tasting

Don't worry, I didn't eat any yarn ... well actually I did have some fibers that kept getting stuck to my lip that I was pulling off ... so maybe I did ...



Last night was the monthly meeting of the Knitter's Guild. For this month we did a yarn tasting. A representative of Westminster Fibers came to a local yarn store to visit with us. A table was set up with lots of paper plates with different types of yarn on them. Each plate had the yarn name and some information on it like yardage and gauge. We picked one up off the table, cast on some stitches and went from there trying different types. It was a very cool way to try out some new yarns, get a feel for them, touch them and see how they knit up.

From top to bottom of the swatch:

Nashua Handknits Sitar
Rowan Panama (I believe is not even out yet she said, and I can't find it online)
Rowan Purewool DK
Nashua Handknits Julia
Rowan All Seasons Cotton
Rowan Kidsilk Aura
Nashua Handknits Geologie
Rowan Kidsilk Haze
Nashua Handknits CF Linen
Rowan Lenpur Linen
Rowan Wool Cotton

I often wonder how much color affects one's opinion of something. I sometimes find it hard to get a good idea if I really don't like the yarn or if I dislike the color so much I can't get past that. So some of these finding may be tainted.

I really liked the Wool Cotton, it knit up great, was super soft and had good stitch definition. The Lenpur-Linen I liked as well, it had a nice sheen to it, but it was a bit splitty while knitting. The Lenpur portion of the yarn is made from wood pulp, but its taken from the branches of trees and the trees are not killed in the process, very cool.

The Nashua Creative Focus Linen was also very nice, the yarn was a cable construction, so no splitty there. Kidsilk Haze was delicious, but a little like knitting with thread it is so fine. Would be lovely for a lace shawl or something like that I think.

Geologie was nice, but a bit furry for my taste. Kidsilk Aura was also in the too furry category as well. All Seasons Cotton reminded me of Lion Brand Cotton Ease and the latter is a lot less expensive I am sure.

Julia was a nice, soft, firm yarn with excellent stitch definition. Purewool DK was also just a soft, but had a bit of a halo too it with the stitches being a little less defined.

Panama was a really cool "novelty" almost type of yarn. I forget what it was made of, but I think it was a cotton blend. Would be great for a summer top.

Sitar was really cool, I loved the color blending used in this yarn. It knit like a single ply, but is actually a 2 ply yarn.

There was also a new Regia sock yarn - I wish I could remember the name - that had a thread around the yarn. While it looked cool, this thread seemed to cause the yarn to have little to no stretch or give to it.

Of course you can't go to a yarn shop and not come home with anything, so this lovely skein of Malabrigo Sock yarn came home with me. This is one I've always wanted to try, if its anything like other Malabrigo yarns, I know it'll be wonderful to knit with.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Yarn tastings are always good. Jo Sharp has them set up in her shop, including yarns she is testing out for her line. It's a great way not to find out if a yarn suits. The malogrigo is in a lovely colourway. It's obligitory to to leave the yarn shop with at least one skein of yarn, isn't it? lol

Anonymous said...

I love Malabrigo sock yarn. That color is really different. I love it.

The "yarn tasting" sounds interesting. Thanks for giving us a review of what you knit. Looks like I may have to make a stop at the yarn store and see what is new soon.