Thursday, January 27, 2011

What's This?


This is the first skein of sock yarn that I purchased. Well its the second I believe, the first skein was used for this (after I finally figured out how to knit socks properly).



The second skein I purchased was used for the first sock that I knit. I took a class and the sock was a horrendous thing. If I had any idea where it was I would post a photo here. Oh it was a sock, but it didn't fit my foot. I think in that class we didn't actually measure our feet. If the instructor looked at my shod foot and decided that was an appropriate number of stitches to cast on ... well she'd probably be right. I wear a size 8.5 sneaker. However, I have a long foot, that's why I wear that size shoe. But if you took my foot and another person's who wears the same size shoe, I bet mine would be much skinnier.

I've learned over the years that my feet are not average circumference in terms of the shoe size. And I compensate for that in my sock knitting. Hence why the first sock was such a disaster and the other pair you see here fits nicely.

Anyway, the other day I was in the basement - tending the wood stove I think and as I walked by my yarn stash down there ... yes there's an overflow storage in the basement. I decided to take a peek in the sock yarn tote. And what did I find?!?! Oh I remember that skein!

So I took it upstairs and wound it up to weigh it. Yes I know I could have easily put it on the scale as a regular wound skein, but it they sit much flatter and its easier to weigh them when they're cakes ... plus I like winding yarn ... its fun :o)

I found that I had 68g left. Well I know most sock skeins come in 100g and I usually have left overs because I like the legs short. So I grabbed two of my favorite pairs of socks and weighed those too. One came in at 63g and another at 56g. So I am quite certain there's enough left over here for a pair of socks!

I haven't cast them on yet, but will soon!

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

It looks like nice yarn. Have you decided on the pattern, or do you plan to wing it?

Delusional Knitter said...

I think plain vanilla since its self striping.