Saturday, December 11, 2010

Perspective ... its a funny thing

I got up really early for work yesterday. We had an applicant coming in and I am supervisor of the department. My boss is pretty laid back and I usually start at 11AM. He said to the two of us (the supervisor in the other facility since we're splitting this person who fills this position betwen the two) that the appointment couldn't be moved, this person has a job now and is coming before work, but if you can't make it, don't sweat it, I'll see him.

The other supervisor who I'm friends with called me and said, "Are you going? I'm going to try and make it" - he comes in late too. So now I think to myself, great, if he shows up and I don't, then I look like a lazy, don't care, can't even come in early one day supervisor. So I get up at 5:30AM ... I usually get up at 7 or 8. Its dark out ... that's not right. People shouldn't get up before the sun.

I start my truck ahead of time so its warm. While I am driving to work I notice the thermometer - my truck has one of those nice thermometer / compass doohickeys - says 5 ... FIVE ... its 5 degrees outside and the sun is barely up!

All day employees are saying, "Man its cold outside" and my reply is "Do you know what it was when I left my house?!?! 5 it was 5 I tell you!!" I guess 5 is better than a negative number, but we've been lucky and its been a mild winter thusfar.

Today it was 40. I went to work without a jacket and thought it was warm ... perspective is a funny thing!

No comments: