Friday, January 29, 2010

Knitting Repairs

I have a few knitting problems I am going to try and fix. One I am just hoping works out on its own. I am knitting a sweater in bulky weight yarn. The pattern called for bulky, which I used and size 10 1/2 needles. After knitting on it for a while I decided to check the gauge ... yeah probably something I should have done before this point. I am getting about 3.75 stitches per inch and the pattern calls for 3 stitches per inch. However, I made size 36" because the next down is 32" ... my actual size is 34" so I think this will fit fine anyway. I slipped approximately half the stitches onto another circular needle and tried it on. It fits a little snug around the hips and I have room at the waist, so all is not lost. I checked the photograph of the pattern on the model in the magazine and that's pretty much how it fits her too. Because it is such a deep v-neck something has to be worn under it, but I can get away with a tank top or very fitted top so that shouldn't be a problem.

Next knitting fix ... I made a pair of socks a while back and haven't worn them because ... oh wow ... gauge was too tight and they are smaller than they should be. I am going to wet them and put them on my sock blockers to see if that blocks some room into them. They are not terribly small, just a little too snug to be comfortable. My toes are squished.

I have another pair of socks that I went to put on a while ago, which I have worn many times and found that the cuff was unraveling, not the entire thing, just a little section, but it was about 4 rows down at this point. Might have something to do with the little monster that lives in my house, but I didn't catch her chewing on them, so I don't know for sure. I think I have some very small balls of that yarn left over in my left overs bag, I am going to try and repair the cuff so that I can continue to wear them, the rest of the socks are in good condition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the "repairs". I think fixes are more difficult than the original knitting, but sounds like you have a good plan to tackle them.